*Please be aware that there will be spoilers
Synopsis: Girls started vanishing in the fall, and now winter's come to lay a white sheet over the horror. Door County, it seems, is swallowing the young, right into its very dirt. From beneath the house on Water Street, I've watched the danger swell.
The residents know me as the noises in the house at night, the creaking on the stairs. I'm the reflection behind them in the glass, the feeling of fear in the cellar. I'm tied—it seems—to this house, this street, this town.
I'm tied to Maggie and Pauline, though I don't know why. I think it's because death is coming for one of them, or both.
All I know is that the present and the past are piling up, and I am here to dig.I am looking for the things that are buried.
From bestselling author Jodi Lynn Anderson comes a friendship story bound in snow and starlight, a haunting mystery of love, betrayal, redemption, and the moments that we leave behind.
What I would rate it: 2.5 of out five (5 of of ten)
Review:
Ugh, I don't even know where to start. I honestly disliked this book. There was nothing creepy about it. This certainly isn't a ghost story. However, the story was nicely written. And the murders in this novel was pointless! This is also NOT a mystery. I think the author tried really hard to make this a creepy ghost story, but I wasn't feeling it. This book also had something I hate: Love Triangles. But this Love Triangle was okay. One of the best actually.
This book is in two POV's; third person and a ghost's(Maggie)
At first I was really confused. I wondered who this ghost was and why she was just hanging around. Towards the end of the book I found out that the ghost was Maggie, the main character. Instead of skipping to the ending, let me start with the plot of the story.
The story starts off with Maggie, and she is moving to Door County. This is a fictional town which I believe is in Wisconsin. Maggie has been homeschooled for nearly her whole life. Apparently this so called "ghost" is watching her and feels drawn to her. On Maggie's first day in town, she receives a package filled with tea.
Maggie has a neighbor named Pauline, and the both of them become friends instantly. Pauline also introduces Maggie to her best friend (since they were babies) Liam. You can tell that Liam has a crush on Pauline by the way he looks at her. Maggie wishes a guys would look at her that way, and she eventually has a crush on her.
Apparently Pauline's dad died and she is super rich because of her mother's tea business (Maggie received that tea).
There have been random murders in nearby towns. Like I said before, this story isn't scary. I think the author just threw the murders in there because she was trying to make this story scary. Anyway, Pauline's mother is scaried because of the murders and takes Pauline to Florida (I think) until the case is cleared up.When Pauline leaves Liam just turns to Maggie because she is girl and he could just fall for her. This got me so mad. Maggie was "backup girl". He only turned to her because Pauline left! What a jerk. Anyway, Maggie falls for him and they usually snuck into each other's house to hang out or make out. There was a sauna that Liam was making in the woods for Pauline. When he finally completed it for winter, he gave it to Maggie. How did this happen? Let me explain.
It's off when Liam and Maggie were walking on the frozen lake. As they were walking back to shore Maggie fell through the ice and Liam picked her up. Obviously Maggie was drenched and was freezing. Liam said that he would carry her back and Maggie said that she could just walk back. Liam insisted and Maggie said that she was heavier than she looked. Apparently Liam didn't believe her and carried her back to shore. He took her to the sauna he created so Maggie could warm. Since Maggie's clothes were soaked she took them off (well except for her bra and panties. She's in front of a guy!)
I think Liam was staring at her. (I might be wrong)
Anyway they were talking and laughing and Maggie was beginning to believe she was falling for him. Liam also made it seem like he was falling for her too (which was complete BS)
Guess what? When Pauline comes back in town, she realizes that Liam and Maggie have been dating and gets jealous/falls for him. So during a party, Liam sneaks out and finds Pauline. Pauline confesses her "love" and they make out! And Maggie witnessed this and she was having a break down!
Maggie avoids them for a while but when she gets invited to a movie, she joins them. The movie night is mad awkward. Pauline excuses herself and Liam apologizes for loving Pauline. And Maggie excepts his apology! I was like wtf?! Heck no! The truth is she is suffering inside and she didn't express her emotions! Too bad you died suffering (spoiler)
It's winter and Pauline's ex is super mad at Liam for making her fall for him. So in the woods, he beats him up and Liam is near-dead. Pauline finds him (ugh) and goes to Maggie for help but Maggie doesn't respond. Jeez girl, I wish you expressed you feelings.
Maggie feels bad for not answering the door and chases after Pauline. But Pauline was being stupid and was walking over the frozen lake. When Maggie gets Pauline's attention, that when she falls through! Completely her fault.
Maggie saves Pauline and put her jacket on her wet body. Maggie laid beside Pauline and froze to death. I feel like Pauline should have died, not Maggie.
We all realize that the ghost in this story was actually Maggie! Wow so scary (sarcasm).
The ending was so confusing! So I'm guessing Pauline and Liam got married but it also said Liam and Maggie went to some springs and learned how to swim. Maggie never knew how to swim!!!!!!!!
I wish the ending was less confusing. If someone read this book could you please explain to me what happened?!
I though I really dislike this story, it was beautifully written and it had pretty good character development.
Favorite Character: Maggie.
Most disliked: Pauline. I hated her so much! She should have died!!
Liam was okay at first but then I was really mad at him. Worst mistake ever. I guess you'll always feel guilty because she died while feeling heartbroken because of you.
Well that's my review, I hope you enjoyed. Leave some comments down below, please.
Au Revior!

I think Liam was staring at her. (I might be wrong)
Anyway they were talking and laughing and Maggie was beginning to believe she was falling for him. Liam also made it seem like he was falling for her too (which was complete BS)
Guess what? When Pauline comes back in town, she realizes that Liam and Maggie have been dating and gets jealous/falls for him. So during a party, Liam sneaks out and finds Pauline. Pauline confesses her "love" and they make out! And Maggie witnessed this and she was having a break down!
Maggie avoids them for a while but when she gets invited to a movie, she joins them. The movie night is mad awkward. Pauline excuses herself and Liam apologizes for loving Pauline. And Maggie excepts his apology! I was like wtf?! Heck no! The truth is she is suffering inside and she didn't express her emotions! Too bad you died suffering (spoiler)
It's winter and Pauline's ex is super mad at Liam for making her fall for him. So in the woods, he beats him up and Liam is near-dead. Pauline finds him (ugh) and goes to Maggie for help but Maggie doesn't respond. Jeez girl, I wish you expressed you feelings.
Maggie feels bad for not answering the door and chases after Pauline. But Pauline was being stupid and was walking over the frozen lake. When Maggie gets Pauline's attention, that when she falls through! Completely her fault.
Maggie saves Pauline and put her jacket on her wet body. Maggie laid beside Pauline and froze to death. I feel like Pauline should have died, not Maggie.
We all realize that the ghost in this story was actually Maggie! Wow so scary (sarcasm).
The ending was so confusing! So I'm guessing Pauline and Liam got married but it also said Liam and Maggie went to some springs and learned how to swim. Maggie never knew how to swim!!!!!!!!
I wish the ending was less confusing. If someone read this book could you please explain to me what happened?!
I though I really dislike this story, it was beautifully written and it had pretty good character development.
Favorite Character: Maggie.
Most disliked: Pauline. I hated her so much! She should have died!!
Liam was okay at first but then I was really mad at him. Worst mistake ever. I guess you'll always feel guilty because she died while feeling heartbroken because of you.
Well that's my review, I hope you enjoyed. Leave some comments down below, please.
Au Revior!
No comments:
Post a Comment